A Little Welcome Message...

>> Thursday, February 11, 2010

So. I've decided to take up photography.

I've always enjoyed it, always wanted to be better at it, always admired it...and now, I'm finally going to get my rear end in gear and make it happen. I'm so unbelievably excited! For the sake of my "future" business, I want to document my journey to become a professional photographer on a completely different blog. I will be adding some photography posts to my personal blog, but for the most part, anything and everything involving my camera can be found here.

With anything, you need goals.  I am the kind of person that if I don't have a set deadline for something, I won't ever accomplish it. I need boundaries, guidelines, rules, etc. For the sake of not spending my entire life attempting to 'go pro' in the photography business, I have given myself a time line, if you will. A rough sketch of my plans to take my hobby and turn it into a successful, money making career.

  • Purchase my very first Digital SLR Camera:  I know what those of you reading this are thinking..."What?! You want to be a photographer and you don't even have the camera yet? Isn't that kind of essential?!" Yes and yes. I do not as of today {February 11, 2010} have my camera. But I will by February 15. Hubby is very supportive of my decision and is offering unbelievable amount of encouragement, but he has a hard time letting go of that kind of cash. So, poor guy is putting it off as long as possible. Kidding. We are actual just waiting on payday to roll around this weekend.
  • Build my portfolio: Fortunately for me, I have my own 24 hour model unwilling to pose for me whenever I want him to. I also have a few friends with young children and my very best friend is expecting her first child, so I've already lined up my first maternity shoot this summer. I also have a few 'photo projects' in mind to help with random and spontaneous shooting to give me a feel for my camera and all that it will do.
  • Read, Study, Practice, Shoot...a lot:  This is explanatory in itself. I've found a lot of up and coming photographers through blogging {you can find their links in my sidebar}, as well as a few great self-teaching websites. I have intentions of spending a lot of time learning my camera, reading as much as I can about the art of photography and practicing. Which means a ton of photos [which you will all be able to view and comment on].
  • Enroll in Photography Classes:  We are expecting another PCS move this year, and once we get relocated, I will begin taking photography classes. I want to gain as much knowledge as I can, and the only way to do that is to dig in and take what I can get. 
  • Set up a Business: And by this I mean a full blown business, complete with business cards, a professionally designed [and professional priced, no doubt] website, and all of that lovely paperwork and tax information. If I'm going to do this, I want to do it right. 
I am very aware of the fact that not only is this going to be hard, especially in today's economy, but it's also going to be a long process. This isn't something that I can do overnight. Which is why I am giving myself 12 Months to complete and get started on these things. Over the next 12 months, I expect to have built up a nice portfolio with a wide array of options and shots, using the knowledge I find via the internet, tutorials and books. I am not sure I will have completed my first set of photography classes by the time 12 months is up, just on account of the whole military thing. {Never know when you're going to be moving} But I should at least be getting ready to start. And hopefully, I will be nearing the point of actually launching a business. I don't expect to have a abundantly successful business by this time next year, but I plan to be established and set up and on my way.

As I learn, I will post tutorials and information-including websites I find helpful, software I use, and whatever tips and tricks I discover. I am so excited about this journey, and I hope many of you will follow along with me. I also plan to start up a fun new meme in the coming weeks [photography related, of course] for everyone to participate in. Please spread the word about my new blog! I hope to 'see' you all soon!


Photobucket

Post a Comment

About This Blog

I'm a SAHM learning my way around my SLR and striving to open a professional photography business. I spend most of my time in my Manual and reading tutorials online. This blog is my way of documenting the things that I learn and the sessions that I photograph along the way.

Blog Archive

  © Blogger template Webnolia by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP